Tuesday, September 6, 2011

S.M.A.R.T Goals





"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion.  You must set yourself on fire." 
~Arnold H. Glasow



Follow these guidelines when helping you, your staff or your student-athletes to set goals. Remember to write them down, set a timeline, reevaluate, and refresh:



Specific: Is the goal very specific, or broad and general?
                        “To improve my mid-range jump shot” vs “Be a better shooter”


Measurable: Is the goal able to be measured?
                        “I want to shoot 65% from mid-range” vs “Be a better shooter”

 Attainable:  Can the goal be achieved by this person?
                     Post wanting to shoot 50% from 3pt vs guard wanting to shoot 50% from 3pt

Realistic:  Is the goal realistic; is there high potential for reaching it?
                        “I want to run the 1.5 mile in 10min…..(but my fastest time was 21min)”

Timely Is there an end-point; a deadline?
                        “I want to be a better shooter”- how much better, and by when?

Common weak goal statements…
“I want to get more confident” –Confident in what? How will you do this? By when?

“I want to work hard and get prepared”- Huh? What is hard work to you? How? When?

“I want to work on my left hand”- Ok…by doing what? How will you measure improvement?

“I want to get in really good shape”- By doing? How? How will you know if you’ve improved?


A goal without a plan is just a dream…
 



No comments:

Post a Comment